I thought I’d update the site today to tell you about a minor disaster that struck recently when I visited a friend in Glasgow that is also a bit of a food fan and actually works as a chef in a well known restaurant in the city.
The reason for my trip was twofold. First, being the kind of person I am, we’d not met up for a really long time. Each Christmas we vow to get a date in the diary for the new year, and it just never happens – life has a habit of getting in the way, right?
So, he’s replacing the kitchen in the restaurant so that seemed like a great time to go and help (reason 2!). The idea was we’d take a look around some kitchen showrooms and get some ideas, then start to plan out the layout based on the essential equipment – then see how much room was left for any extra luxuries.
What we hadn’t banked on though, was that the salesmen from commercial kitchen companies are a little more keen to see your premises first, rather than residential kitchen stores where you have a wander around and gain some ideas. So, sure enough the rep arrived on Saturday morning and proceeded to measure up the available space. He suddenly stopped in his tracks at one end of the current cooking area, and asked about the wall coverings. All we knew was it was artex and it had to go – we’re not in the seventies any more! In fact we’d already been in touch with several kitchen and bathroom tilers to get some quotes for those walls to be sorted out.
That was when the bombshell was dropped – apparently artex can contain asbestos – particularly if it was installed during the sixties and seventies. So, we turned to the internet and found all sorts of horror stories about people drilling into it and the health risks. It also became pretty clear that you have to be very careful when removing it, which can also be expensive and hard to dispose of:
So, having spent a weekend in Glasgow, absolutely nothing food related happened whatsoever. Someone came out to take a look and confirmed that there was a risk present, so now he’s waiting for the results to see how to proceed. The only good news is it’s only likely to be a problem if it needs removing.
Who’d have thought changing a kitchen could be such a health hazard?